Humane Society Office: 410-749-7603

Wicomico County Animal Control: 410-749-1070

Salisbury City Animal Control: 410-548-3165

Wicomico County Animal Control

Wicomico County government provides all funding for animal control. Please review your county and state animal control laws.

If you call and receive voicemail, please leave a message. Animal Control will not receive your complaint unless you leave a message. Officers are often out on dangerous calls or rescuing animals from potentially deadly situations that may take priority over other instances. Your call will be returned when the Animal Control Officers return to the office. Wicomico County Animal Control takes every call seriously and responds as quickly as possible.

The Humane Society cannot transfer your call to Animal Control.

County Animal Control can not handle animal control issues within Salisbury city limits. You can contact City of Salisbury Animal Control at 410-548-3165.

All wildlife issues such as deer, rabbits, raccoons, birds etc. are handled by Maryland Natural Resources Police–410-548-7070.

For injured wildlife, call 410-260-8888.

Hours of Operation

Monday – Saturday : 8 AM – 6 PM

After hours and emergencies

Wicomico County Animal Control maintains 24/7 coverage with an officer on-call. If you have an after hours emergency call 410-749-1070 and leave a message. The voice mail will be forwarded to the on-call officer. If you have an emergency and an Animal Control Officer does not respond, you may call your local police department and they will make contact with Animal Control.

Animal Laws

Filing a Complaint

To file a complaint, please call 410-749-1070 and be prepared to provide the following information:

  • 911 address or closest cross streets
  • Description of dog and unique features such as color of collar
  • Your contact information: Name, Address, and Phone Number

Lost Animals

If you have lost your pet, we offer the following suggestions:

  • Check the Humane Society lost pet page and local lost pet Facebook groups
  • Check with your neighbors and place flyers in the neighborhood
  • Contact the Humane Society at 410-749-7603 to file a lost report or through their website to return via [email protected]  here
  • Utilize social media- write your own post with photos and make it shareable
  • Have your pet microchipped and keep the registration current. This will assist Animal Control officers locate you if your pet should be caught or brought in by a Good Samaritan
  • Let your postal carrier and other delivery personnel know about the lost pet. These people cover a lot of area in the neighborhood and may spot your pet

Reclaiming an Animal

If your pet has been impounded by Animal Control you will need the following information:

  • Proof of Ownership—such as photographs, vet records, rabies certificate, etc. The owner must be the person to reclaim the animal
  • Payment of impound fees to cover the costs of care of the animal including boarding and vaccinations.  Cash or credit/debit cards are accepted. No checks. The claim-out fee is $50 (includes microchipping) and $15 per day after the first day for boarding. Claim-out fees are increased for animals that have been at the shelter previously.
  • If citations or corrections are issued, our reclaim staff cannot not discuss the legalities with you.  You should consult a legal professional.